WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Thursday, June 10, 2010

New Drums.... (sort of)

I recently had a long time drum kit of mine refurbished by the master drum maker Ed Peck of Epek Percussion located in Regina, Saskatchewan.

www.epekpercussion.com

I bought this set of Premier XPK fusion drums in 1991 and these were the first set of drums that I purchased with my own money as a teenager.

These drums have always sounded great and have literally been from one side of the country to the other and played on literally hundreds of gigs, in every style.

They are great drums, sound great and have lasted me for a long time now.

With mahogany shells they are easy to tune and, considering their somewhat "odd" sizes (in terms of depth), they have a wide tuning range that can accommodate a higher jazz bebop tuning to lower big band and rock tunings. It's been a very versatile and practical drum set for me over the years.

Unfortunately, nearly 20 years of use has taken it's toll on the shells, finish etc. so I thought it was time for an upgrade and some fine tuning to the bearing edges and hardware.

I was reluctant to sell these drums considering all the hours I had put into them and the memories they brought back. If only these drums could speak !

Fortunately Ed was able to bring some new life to these drums and they sound & look better then ever!

Here are the "before" photos:





And here are the "after" photos:



No comments:

Post a Comment