WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Friday, August 4, 2017

Peter Erskine: Dr.Um




































A few clips today of Peter Erskine's latest project featuring the great Bob Sheppard on tenor saxophone and some very inspired and musical drumming from Erskine himself:





Erskine also recently penned a wonderful essay for Modern Drummer magazine on the concept of "melodic jazz drumming", a subject very dear to me as I researched this very topic myself towards my doctoral studies a few years ago (and, incidentally, actually interviewed Erskine for my thesis). As always, he expresses his concepts and teachings very articulately and with a clear sense of direction and urgency:

https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/june-2017-playing-melodically-part-1-billies-bounce/


No comments:

Post a Comment