WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, May 14, 2018

Marcus Gilmore













Thanks to a lesson with John Riley last month, I've been inclined, upon his suggestion, to check out what Marcus Gilmore is up to lately. He's definitely been making waves (sound & otherwise) these days. Here's a wealth of links and clips to check out of this very unique, modern Jazz drummer.

- A feature from NPR:

https://www.npr.org/sections/ablogsupreme/2013/02/06/171249897/when-your-grandfather-is-the-greatest-living-jazz-drummer

- Interview with Jazz Speaks:

http://www.jazzspeaks.org/marcus-gilmore-see-what-happens/

- An interview with Nick Ruffini over at the Drummer's Resource Podcast:

http://www.drummersresource.com/marcus-gilmore-interview/

- A podcast from Chick Corea's website (somebody who knows a thing or two about drummers!):

http://chickcoreamusicworkshops.com/podcast/lets-just-throw-it-down-marcus-gilmore/

And finally, here's a bunch of cool clips featuring this dynamic and creative musician:










3 comments:

  1. Hi, Jon
    Thanks for the blog! Always a pleasure to read and keep up to date with any cool drum articles/vids I haven't seen. I've also read parts of your doctoral thesis and it's really great! So thank you for that too.
    I'm currently doing my honours thesis looking at Gilmore's playing. I was wondering what Riley said about Gilmore that compelled you to check him out? I've been doing a lot of research on Gilmore and I can't seem to find a great amount, so I'd be curious to know any skerrick of info/talk about him that I haven't found yet.
    Thanks!
    Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Lewis!
    I am also researching and writing a thesis about Marcus, actually it led me to this comment feed :D
    So if you feel like sharing your thesis with me for educational reasons I would be grateful!
    My email: cizejdomen@gmail.com
    Would be great to see someone else´s research + I would send you mine when I finish of course!
    Well greetings from Rotterdam!

    Btw thank you Jon for this goldmine of blogs :)
    Best,
    Domen Cizej

    ReplyDelete